Share this resource or email it to a friend!

Everything is a toy to kittens, and they can be injured in the blink of an eye. That’s why it’s necessary to protect them from holiday dangers.

The holidays should be joyful, but they may also be stressful, especially for kittens and other pets who thrive on routine. Create a space in your home that’s cozy to which your pets can choose to retreat, if they are uncomfortable. You may also choose to put your pets in their cozy space when you think the holiday activities may be too busy or unsafe for them.

Take precautions to protect them from these potentially dangerous items, some of which can be fatal:

  • Foods: chocolate, grapes, raisins, alcohol, raw yeast dough, anything containing the sweetener Xylitol (birch sugar), fatty meats and bones.
  • Plants: holly, poinsettia, lilies, Christmas tree water. Make sure your Christmas tree is secure so it can’t be toppled.
  • Decorations: tinsel, glass ornaments, ribbons, candle flames, potpourri, food presents left under the tree, which although they’re wrapped, are within range of your kitten’s nose.
  • Appliances: dryers and washing machines, hot stoves and ovens, refrigerators and freezers, dishwashers. Be sure to check your kitten hasn’t slipped inside.
  • Items that can entangle pets or be swallowed (threads, ribbons, dental floss, string, yarn, paper clips, shoelaces, needles, buttons, coins, rubber bands, hair ties/clips, jewelry, batteries) may cause an intestinal obstruction and require emergency surgery to save your pet.
  • Miscellaneous: electrical, charger and curtain cords (in fact all cords), guests (opening doors, leaving medications out), sharp objects (knives, scissors, razors, safety pins), smoking products, mothballs, fabric softener sheets, rodent poison and baits, plastic bags, garbage, open windows, loose/torn window/door screens, toilet seat covers that aren’t closed, earbuds and hot fireplace logs and sparks.

Know the signs of poisoning in case your kitten gets into something dangerous:

  • Drooling, pawing at the mouth
  • Breathing slowly, rapidly or with difficulty
  • Retching, vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy, depression
  • Wobbling, falling, twitching, seizures
  • Collapse, unresponsiveness

Call your veterinarian, an emergency veterinary clinic or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435 if you suspect your kitten has gotten into something harmful. Know how to get to the animal emergency hospital before you need it, and call ahead to be sure the hospital is open and to alert them that you’re coming.

Keeping the holidays safe is the best gift you can give to kittens, other pets and you!